Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Igniting the Fire!



Ignition. It is the beginning of fire. The process of initiating self-sustained combustion. It is the explosive reaction of oxygen, heat, and fuel. It was time to truly test who I am and what I am capable of. It was time to begin Fire Academy.

I had passed the most physically demanding test of my life! Now what? I knew very little about the fire service so I was looking forward to the Fire Academy Orientation.

I arrived at the station right on time and sat down with the other recruits. None of us knew what to expect. The classroom was lined with firefighters staring intently at each of us, judging us. In walked the Deputy Chief of Training.

I learned quickly during that presentation that the hardest work of being a firefighter was far ahead of me. My self-imposed "grueling" work-outs were nothing compared to the Crossfit training, station cleaning, teamwork, turn-out gear donning, Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) exercises, knot tying, fire science, extrication, ventilation, hose rolling, confined spaces, fire and smoke trailers, reading, and testing.

I would almost literally need to become an encyclopedia of knowledge, skill, and strength in the next 5 months. In addition to the truly arduous tasks I would be spending 3 days a week in class and training. On my "off" nights I would be studying, practicing skills, and meeting with the rest of my company to help each other with these skills and studies.

We were warned that Firefighters are more likely to die of heart-attack or being run over during emergency rescues than by fire AND are more likely than any other profession to have their marriages end in divorce due to the time commitment. This created a great opportunity for me to talk to my whole family about what sacrifices our whole family would be making in order for me to serve my community.

I also learned that my very full beard would need to be shaved. The only facial hair a firefighter is allowed is a moustache. This is for safety purposes. A firefighter's facepiece must make an air-tight seal against his face, around his mouth and along his chin in order to properly administer air from the SCBA. That and no one likes the smell of burnt hair.

I was given my uniform and assigned a company of three other recruits. Within our company another recruit was assigned the duty of Officer. He was in charge of leading our company, assigning and delegating duties, arranging company meetings, and keeping us aware of Fire Academy information and requirements.

After I shaved my beard I put on my steel-toed boots and uniform. I was excited to study and work hard with my new brothers. However, we didn't act like a family yet. We were about to see just how dysfunctional we were as individuals and as a team.

My next post will feature some Fire Department History, stories of our physical training, and the story of our first academy "wash-out". What gets you motivated and keeps you going? Have you served in a military or para-military service? How do you keep your relationship strong despite a demanding job?

No comments:

Post a Comment