Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Flashover - "Do you have what it takes?"


Construction
Many times during the Fire Academy process I asked myself, "Do you have what it takes?"

If I was going to earn my badge and the brotherhood I was going to need more than ambition. I needed strength and courage.

While I was daily considering if I could make it through academy, we began learning in class about the construction of buildings and the materials that are used. These materials constitute their fire-resistance rating. There are 5 types of construction: Type 1 (Fire Resistive), Type 2 (Non-Combustible/Limited Combustible), Type 3 (Ordinary Construction), Type 4 (Heavy Timber/Mill), and Type 5 (Wood/Stick Frame).

This fire-resistance rating determines how a building and it's construction will hold up over time during a fire. It is important to note that nothing is "Fireproof." There are some buildings and materials that are fire resistant.

I knew nothing about construction, I'm a graphic designer, I draw pictures for a living. So I found it fascinating to learn that that Gypsum (Sheet Rock) is an inorganic plaster/wallboard that has a high water content which allows it to absorb high heat as the water evaporates. This is used to reduce the impact of heat against support structures to avoid collapse/failure.

Fire Resistant Gypsum © Gustafs


Not only do firefighters have to know what type of construction and building materials they are facing in a fire, they must be able to estimate the type of contents that could be on fire. This is called the fuel load.


Fuel Load - The total quantity of combustible contents of a building, space or fire area, including interior finish and trim, expressed in heat units of the equivalent weight in wood.

Think about your house or your work environment: How much stuff around you could catch fire? That is your fuel load.

I was about to find out what my personal metaphoric fuel load was.

Combustion
We were having a breakdown in our company. It is understandable to have different personality types disagree and we were all learning each others personalities. The four of us were unique individuals with different backgrounds and approaches to solving problems or viewing solutions.

Each week we were required by the Chief to meet as a company. During the Engine 12 meetings we were studying as a group. We would read the chapter and finish our written assignments together.

The problem was that our "Wash-Out" was making excuses and not showing up for study sessions, not having assignments complete, not reading the chapters, and having a general disregard for everyone else and their time.

I was not struggling with the book, the reading, the comprehension of the material, or the assignments. I needed to practice Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) donning. We are required to don (put on) our PPE and SCBA separately within 1 minute each or combined in 1 minute and 30 seconds. I needed to practice this and tying knots.

There were several nights that my entire company were not able to meet. I understood that "Buffalo" and "Double DD" (our officer) had EMT schedules that were difficult to work around. Wash-Out worked at a grocery store and worked until 9:00 so we did our best to meet when we could.

However, one night I asked for help and only Wash-Out and I could meet. It would have to be at 9:30 because he needed time to drive to the station where we would be practicing SCBA. I showed up at the station and texted him to confirm that we were meeting. He confirmed that he was on his way. As I waited I practiced knots, finished my assignment, and prepared my gear. I waited 30 minutes and he never showed and did not return my texts or phone calls.

I was burning mad.

This video shows the PPE/SCBA evolution. Now imagine doing this with your Chief and other firefighters screaming in your face. That will prepare you for what you read next.



The next night we reported to the bay in our companies awaiting the command to don our SCBA. "Alarm!" Chief shouted as we raced to put on our gear. I was nervous and fumbling with my belt and the zipper on my coat. As I placed my helmet on my head and pulled the strap tight Chief screamed in my face, "What are you doing Glenn?!! Why are you doing this different than everyone else?!"

I needed to take my helmet off, put my facepiece on, then don my SCBA in the next 30 seconds. The problem was that my helmet strap was stuck tight and I couldn't get it loose.

"C'mon Glenn, lets GO!!" I tried desperately and instinctively took my gloves off in order to be able to work it loose.

"You can't take off your gloves in a fire! What are you doing?! You fail! You all fail! Take it down and do it again!" He shouted with exasperation.

I failed. Therefore we all failed. We had to do the drill again and it was my fault. I was beginning to worry that I was not built for this, that I didn't have what it takes to be a firefighter.

"Alarm!" was shouted and we began again. This time as I raced through the drill I donned my boots, pulled my hood on, buckled my pants, threw my coat on and zipped it, pulled back my hood and donned the facepiece, threw my SCBA on my shoulders and buckled it, put my helmet on, attached the regulator, and then pulled my gloves on clapping my hands to signal that I was done.

It was time for inspection and as our company was inspected my helmet was lifted to find that I had forgotten to put my hood back on after I put my facepiece on.

"Another failure Glenn?!" Chief yelled in my face. "Everyone, 20 pushups thanks to Glenn! After that then you get to do this all over again!"

As I did those pushups and sweat stung my eyes, I was angry with myself for causing this pain and punishment for everyone else. Though it wasn't Wash-Outs fault I could not help but be angry with him for not assisting me the night before.

Flashover
We donned our SCBA again and this time we all did it right. We walked outside to the training grounds to see a Live Fire Training Trailer. A firefighter lit a living room set on fire and we learned as we watched the entire room quickly go up in flames.

© Middletown Township Fire Training Academy

We learned that materials themselves do not burn. It is the combustible fumes that catch on fire, producing heat and breaking down the materials to release more combustible fumes. It looks like this. At 0:38 seconds you can see the term "flashover" happen near the ceiling when the smoke catches fire.

As we watched the entire trailer fill with smoke and the thermal layers begin to lower to the floor the heat in the trailer become so intense that the heat caused the smoke to begin rolling like waves. As it intensified and the heat mixed with sufficient oxygen it exploded in fire.

As I stared at the fire raging from the room I reflected on my failures.

That night, standing in my kitchen, I broke down. I really wanted to be a firefighter and I knew it was going to be hard but I didn't realize how big of a responsibility it was. My emotions rolled over me just like the smoke in the trailer. Would I be strong enough to make it through this? Would I be brave enough to face the dangers? Would I be willing to lay down my life for a fellow firefighter? Would I be willing to study and train to make sure that I never caused the pain and punishment I had inflicted on everyone else that night?

My wife talked with me about the night. She comforted me through my apprehension and supported me with whatever decision I would make. I could work harder or I could hand in my papers. I could wash out.

As the combustion of my emotions subsided I realized that I did in fact have what it takes. I would not wash out. I would study and practice my skills on my own.

I was made for this.

---
How did you resolve to work toward being a firefighter or complete your personal and professional goals? Did you ever have moments of doubt or struggles that punished others? How do you face responsibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment