Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trial by Fire - Introduction


As a 35 year old, husband, and father of four, my family and I decided I should dedicate myself to the ambitious pursuit of Firefighter! Why? Isn’t everyone enamored by the heroic efforts of our selfless community servants? I know I have always admired the courage, bravery, and skill of firefighters.
I had spent the last year working hard to lose 52 pounds and that’s when the sign for “Paid-On-Call Firefighters Wanted” went up at the station near my home. I felt that I was finally ready to make this dream come true.
However, this is a true commitment of time, energy, talent, wits, and fortitude. Fire Academy is a difficult test of will, strength, and time management. You are called upon to learn Departmental Regulations, Building Construction, Fire Science, Personal Protective Equipment, Ropes and Knots, Search and Rescue, and so much more! Before I could even step foot in class I had to pass the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT).
Check back each week to read about how Fire Academy heats up, how I trained to get ready, what grueling tasks I’ve endured, skills I’ve learned, and amazing fire knowledge I have to share!
The purpose of this blog is to seek out service information, provide safety tips, share interesting fire science knowledge, and encourage firefighters and their families. So I will end each post with questions and seek your guidance and input.

How do you know if being a firefighter is your calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment