Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Kindling the Fire

© Marcus Obal
Many people in my life have asked, "Why would you want to be a firefighter?" It comes down to my own fire triangle: Admiration, Safety, and Purpose.

The desire initially began as admiration. As a boy, I had watched a handful of firefighters work at accident scenes and listened intently whenever they came to school to teach us fire safety. They seemed very cool, calm, and collected. Everything they said and did was performed with calculated precision. Their eyes told a story of unwavering commitment to protecting their friends and neighbors. They were true heroes.


My fascination with firefighting kindled when I had children. I heard their stories of excitement when they attended an event each year called, "Safety Town". This event featured law enforcement officers, paramedics, and firefighters. I understood as a parent how knowledge and prevention were the most important keys to my children's safety. When knowledge and safety are not enough we need committed people to rescue us. I wanted to know everything I need to know to protect my family. Was I strong enough to make that sacrifice? I was ready to find out.

Purpose. This was the fuel for my fire. I have always felt that everyone had a purpose in life. That we are all given these opportunities for a reason. I wanted to find out if my purpose in life was to serve my community when they needed me most.

Now that you understand what has kindled my fire you may be interested to know how I went from couch potato to firefighter. Join me in my next installment to find out what it took to light this fire and get myself fit for Fire Academy!

No comments:

Post a Comment